ATTENTION TEACHERS: Your studio must participate in Musicthon with a minimum fundraising of $200.00. Otherwise, you must contribute $50.00 to each competition your students enter.
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION FORM
TEACHERS: Encourage winning students to write thank you notes to people and donors who made it possible.
Application deadline: Friday, May 13, 2011
Competition: Sunday, June 5, 2011
Location: Steinway Piano Gallery, Boca Raton, Florida
Awards will be:
First Place - $150.00
Second Place - $100.00
Third Place - $50.00
Auditions will be conducted before three competent judges, preferably not members of BCMTA. The date of the auditions will be set each year by the BCMTA Executive Board. Requirements for eligibility are as follows:
1. An entry fee of $35.00 must accompany the contestant’s application. One check per teacher shall cover all contestants within that studio.
2. Student must be in school grades 9-10 or have won First Place in the BCMTA Intermediate B Competition the previous year. Difficulty of pieces entered will not be lower than Level VIII according to MTNA guidelines or D-I in FFMC District Festival.
3. Contestants must currently be studying with a BCMTA teacher and must have been studying with that teacher for at least six months.
4. The scholarship chairman will arrange a blind drawing for playing positions, and students will be informed of their approximate playing times in advance. Any contestant not present at his/her performance time will be disqualified.
5. A student may not submit any piece previously performed in any other BCMTA, sponsored competition in the current year or previous years.
6. Audition material shall consist of a program of solo literature covering at least 3 of the 5 major stylistic periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic, and Contemporary. There will be no concertos and no repeats excepting those written out with 1st and 2nd endings. In the case of Avant-garde literature, the use of the score will be permitted. Composers classification will be will be determined per the MTNA composer’s classification list. This list can be found at http://www.mtna.org/. Click on the competitions link and look for the composer classification link.
7. Audition material shall consist of a solo program of 12 to 17 minutes. Programs falling short of the 12 minute minimum requirement on the day of the performance will be disqualified. Programs longer than 17 minutes may be entered, but only 17 minutes will be adjudicated.
8. One copy of the score of each composition with measures numbered must be available for the judges. Photocopies will not be accepted without prior permission.
9. The winner of First Place will not be eligible for future entry in this competition.
10. The decision of the judges is final.
It is the responsibility of teachers to see that these guidelines are followed. At any point the discovery of failure to abide by the requirements of this competition will result in the disqualification of the contestant. Please pay special attention to time and repertoire requirements.